This week's Top Ten Tuesday on the Broke and the Bookish is Top Ten Characters in X Genre. I wanted a fairly limited genre (as opposed to, say, mainstream/literary fiction), so I'm going with the classics. I've read a fair number of classics in my day, but not so many as to be overwhelming. And I like that I've got a wide variety to choose from, both in time period and in character personality. In no particular order, here are my favorites.
TOP TEN TUESDAY:
Top Ten Characters in Classic Literature
1. Jo March (Little Women, Louisa May Alcott, 1868)
2. Peter Pan (Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie, 1911)
3. Sara Crewe (A Little Princess, Frances Hodgson Burnett, 1905)
4. The Little Prince (The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1943)
5. Dorian Gray (The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde, 1890)
6. Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1925)
7. Simon (Lord of the Flies, William Golding, 1954)
8. Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1850)
9. Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee, 1960)
10. Scarlett O'Hara & Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell, 1936)
Who are your favorite classic literary characters?